Pickens County Board of Education
The Pickens County Board of Education was recognized by the Georgia School Boards Association (GSBA) as a 2014 Distinguished School Board.
|Donna Enis||Vice Chairmanfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Sue Finley||Board Memberemail@example.com|
|Steve Smith||Board Memberfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Joeta Youngblood||Board Memberemail@example.com|
The Pickens County Board of Education meets on the second Thursday of each month in the Board Conference Room located at 100 D.B. Carroll Street, Jasper, Georgia 30143.
The role of the Board of Education
According to Georgia Law, the functions of the Board of Education include:
- Hiring and evaluating the superintendent
- Hiring and assigning all employees upon the recommendation of the superintendent
- Sitting as a court to decide local controversies involving school law
- Dismissing and suspending employees recommended by the superintendent
- Approving the local budget for submission to the Georgia State Board of Education
- Levying the local educational millage rate to support the approved budget
- Caring for all school system property including purchase, construction, lease, repair and sale of such property
- Approval of all contracts binding the local school system (In order to make the business of the school system function more effectively, many school systems delegate a portion of this authority to the superintendent and/or the finance director through local policy. However, the board still must give final approval to such contracts.)
- Making the policies and rules necessary to govern the school system
- Adopting a plan for the assignment of pupils. (This includes establishing, reorganizing, consolidating, and closing of schools as well as determining which grade levels are assigned to each school.)
- Ensuring that the superintendent, principals, and other employees handling school money are bonded
- Sitting as an appellate court in student disciplinary matters.
For more information such as meeting minutes, agendas, policies, please click here